
Save this story Save Story Save this story “How did she do it?” the text message read. “I just tried to plank for as long as possible and only made it to a minute and 30 seconds!”
Earlier this week, a 61-year-old Canadian woman named DonnaJean Wilde set a new world record for the longest plank ever held by a woman at the Huntsman World Senior Games. She held the pose on her toes and forearms for an unbelievable, body-shaking five hours—breaking her own record of four hours and 30 minutes, set in March 2024.
The mother of five (and grandmother of 12!) started her record-holding journey slowly: After breaking her arm during her decades-long career as a teacher, Wilde realized the plank was one of the only exercises she could do with her injury. That was a little over a decade ago, and she’s been doing a daily plank ever since. Instead of trying to hold the pose for a prescribed amount of time, however, she would just hold it for as long as possible.
“After a few months, I made it up to 10 minutes,” Wilde says. “I was so excited. And I just kept going.” No less impressive is the fact that she’s never worked with a trainer or fitness coach. Instead, she keeps track of her own time and watches her posture in the mirror at her home gym.
Wilde says her secret to holding the plank for as long as she can is simple: she distracts herself. “When I plank, I am never just planking,” she says. “I always have something to do while I plank.” That can mean reading, watching a movie (she says her favorite is the animated film Sing ), or even writing a book—hers titled, fittingly, From Minutes to Hours: I Wrote This Book While Planking.
To prepare for Tuesday’s competition, Wilde approached the last month like she was preparing to run a marathon . “I was going to be early, waking up at 2 a.m., and planking until around 6 a.m.,” she explains. That time frame allowed her to go about the rest of her day totally normally. She also loaded up on carbs and protein the day before her record-breaking hold, adding that she loves meat and eggs. The day of was a different story. “I actually went in purposefully dehydrated because I knew I could have sips of water,” Wilde says. After all, there would be no breaks for the bathroom.
Once Wilde had hurtled past the old record, things got a bit more difficult. “Once I broke my own record, I felt like I hit a wall. I thought, I don’t know if I can do the last half hour,” she says. “But people were cheering me on, so I made it.” She also had her post-plank meal in mind. “Crazy enough, every night I eat the same thing,” she says. “I love to eat yogurt with puffed wheat. So in the final minutes of holding the plank, I was just thinking, I’m going to have some yogurt and puffed wheat after this .”
Though she was “a bit stiff” after this week’s event, Wilde is already back on her toes and forearms. “Planking helps me stand up straight, gives me energy, makes me ready for the day,” she says. “No matter my age, it keeps me going.”
Have a beauty or wellness trend you're curious about? We want to know! Send Vogue' s senior beauty & wellness editor an email at beauty@vogue.com.
Drinks That Are More Hydrating Than Water
13 Vitamin-B 12 Foods to Support Energy and Brain Health
Tai Chi Walking Is Good for Your Body and Mind
The 9 Best Snack Options to Support Your Gut Health
Sign up for Vogue ’s beauty and wellness newsletter to receive the insider’s guide to all things beauty and wellness
Have a beauty or wellness trend you’re curious about? We want to know! Email Margaux at beauty@vogue.com .
The Vogue Runway app has expanded! Update to the latest version to see all Vogue content, as well as new features like our Runway Genius quiz, Group Chats, and posts from Vogue contributors.
Become a Vogue Business Member —the ultimate resource for fashion and beauty industry professionals.
Never miss a story: Add Vogue.com to your preferred sources in Google.
Source: Lifestyle
0 Comments